-Reminder: Fall 2016 registration is underway
-Quiz #2 return
-Assignment 2 review and Midterm grades
-Assignment 3: Issue introductory example – Wiped, Flashed, and Rekitted: The International Black Market of Stolen Cell Phones, UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
–Assignment 3: Issue overview
-Issue Story How To:
- Part 1: Breaking Down an Issue Story
- Part 2: Reporting an Issue Story
- Part 3: Assembling an Issue Story
- Part 4: Posting Your Issue Story
For Wednesday, read Alcohol’s Hold on Campus (The Chronicle of Higher Education) and explore some of the links at the bottom of the page.
For next week, explore each of the following examples from OJA finalist list. You will do a short (5 min) presentation on the one you have been assigned. Worth 5 quiz points.
- Trails of Trash, USC (Sam/Joe – Mon)
- ConterfeitEd, Columbia J School (Vin/Stephen – Mon)
- Climate Change in Minnesota, MPR News (Michael/Margaret – Mon)
- What Does Gun Violence Really Cost?, Mother Jones (Matt/Nery – Wed)
- Bees at the Brink, Star Tribune (Tommy – Wed)
- Undrinkable, Texas Tribune (Kevin/Sarahjane – Wed)
Work together to do a short presentation of your assigned example. Answer and show us the following:
- How did they break down this big topic into manageable parts?
- How did they structure the piece or presentation?
- What kind of media did they use?
- What are the most compelling aspects of this piece?