Online Journalism II – CRN 21662 JRN 02325 – 2
Monday/Wednesday, 12:30 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.
301 High Street, Room 215
Instructor: Mark Berkey-Gerard
Online Journalism II explores how online and mobile news stories are reported, produced and distributed on various digital platforms. Students will learn what it takes to create high-quality, innovative, multi-platform stories while adhering to the traditional standards of news judgment, accuracy, fairness and truth.
Prerequisites: News Reporting I and Online Journalism I
Recommended: Photojournalism, Publication Layout and Design, On-Camera Field Reporting, Introduction to New Media
This course builds upon the basic skills and knowledge presented in News Reporting I and Online Journalism I.
In this course, students will:
• Study and analyze award-winning online news stories in order to gain insight into reporting and storytelling techniques.
• Learn how to generate enterprising story ideas through original reporting.
• Develop a “digital-first” workflow for reporting and news content creation.
• Understanding of the unique characteristics of text, photos, audio, video and graphics and when to use each to present a story in the most compelling manner.
• Explore innovative ways to adapt traditional news story formats for the web and mobile audiences.
• Improve multimedia reporting and production skills.
• Produce multimedia stories alone and as member of team.
• Complete several portfolio-worthy or publishable news stories. In the past, student work from this course has been published in NewsWorks.org, NJ.com, South Jersey Times and South Jersey Magazine.
This is a fast-paced, advanced level multimedia journalism workshop. There will be a lot of discussion, back-and-forth, and, as is the case in any newsroom, a fair amount of chaos. The success of the course and the finished products will depend on your energy, entrepreneurial spirit, work ethic, and ability to work together. It will require personal responsibility and journalistic standards. I will conduct the course as a group facilitator, editor and publisher.