Note: NO CLASS on Thursday, Oct. 15
1. Due next Tuesday, Oct. 20 – Your group’s Assignment 3: Issue story pitch
- What is your issue?
- Why is it interesting?
- Possible sources (for facts and people)
2. Also due next Tuesday, Oct 20
Quiz #3: Take home quiz – Worth 10 points
Email it to me by start of class. Use subject line “Online Journalism 2 – Quiz 3
Explore the ONA issue examples and answer questions below:
- Criminalizing Kids, The Center for Public Integrity with Reveal Radio
- Till Death Do Us Part, The Post and Courier
- #MakeAlCare — The Evolution of One Voter, KPCC, Southern California Public Radio
- InfoGuide: The Sunni-Shia Divide, Council on Foreign Relations
- Undrinkable, The Texas Tribune
- Alcohol’s Hold on Campus, The Chronicle of Higher Education
- The Trails of Trash, Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, University of Southern California
- Wiped, Flashed, and Rekitted: The International Black Market of Stolen Cell Phones, UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
- Undue Force, The Baltimore Sun
- Counterfeit Ed, NYCity News Service
Pick one example that you particularly liked. Answer the following questions (2 or 3 sentences each)
- What is the issue? Why were you drawn to it?
- What did you learn that you did not know before? How did this piece change your perspective?
- How did the reporters make you care about this issue?
- How is the story/piece structured for formatted?
- What media elements are used? (ie text, video, graphics) What function/purpose does each media element serve?