Due: Thursday, March 28 at end of class
Worth 15 points/Late = deduction of 2 points
Objective: To create an audio slide show that profiles an individual or group of people connected to Route 47. This is a profile of a person or a group of people. It is a concise biographical sketch told with audio and visuals. It should not need a lot of text to explain.
Topic: For this assignment, the subject must be related to the arts, fashion, music, food, or religion.
Off campus: For this assignment, students must report off campus. No Rowan-related subjects allowed.
Solo or In Pairs: Students can decide if they want to work solo or in a team that I assign. A team of two people is preferable since you can have one person doing audio while the other does photos. Students who work in pairs will receive the same grade for the assignment.
What You Need to Do:
• Find a good subject.
• Bring your story pitch by Tuesday, March 12.
• Set up an interview and record it.
• Gather ambient and natural sounds.
• Photograph your subject. Take 100+ photos. You need a good photo for every 5 seconds of edited audio. (ie 1:30 = 18 good photos)
• Convert your audio files. Edit your audio. Export as mp3 with “High Quality”
• Select and crop your photos.
• Synch the audio and photos together in Sound Slides to tell the story.
-A profile of one person or group of people
-Subject connected to the arts, music, fashion, food, or religion along Route 47.
-Aim for 90 seconds in length. Maximum is 2:00.
-“In her own words” – No narration or sound of interviewers voice
• Quality of reporting (Did you go somewhere, meet someone, and put in effort to find a good story?)
• Quality of audio (Good sound quality/smooth editing)
• Quality of photos (Focus, framing, variety of shots)
• Quality of editing (Pacing and synching of audio and photos)
• Strong beginning: visual and audio.
• Strong ending: visual and audio
• Is there an anecdote?
• Is there is a moment of reflection?
• Is there a story?
• Word document with headline, teaser and proper credits
• Files submitted in proper format and names
Examples of audio slide show (arts, music, fashion, religion) profiles:
Lindy & Grundy (LA Times)
The Hendrix Experience (LA Times)
It pays to practice (LA Times)
The Mormon missionary (NYTimes)
The sneaker connoisseur (NYTimes)
The monk’s life (LA Times)