Post your three story ideas in the comments section below…
Pingback: Agenda for Thurs, Feb 7 | RU Online Journalism 2
-Why are there so many used car dealers on Delsea Drive? Are they competitive with one another? How well is business during these slow economic times?
-There are plenty of diners along Delsea Drive and South Jersey in general. But the every day regulars at these establishments are the interesting ones.
-There are a couple cash for gold places in Westville right at the start of Delsea Drive. It’d be interesting to document the dynamic of one of those places.
*The new shoe store, Sneaker Action, and how they are being received by local customers.
*Vics Sports Shop and find out if they do any special events with teams, etc.
*Millville High School, Mike Trout, and his success. Try to talk to his head coach, who I have spoken with before.
1. While I was driving along Route 47, I noticed a lot of police stations and fire departments and the like along the road. Also, I have been watching the news and hearing a lot about how there are going to be additional cuts to local budgets in regards to police and fire. This has been happening over the past couple of years, especially in Camden (at the beginning of Delsea Dr.). I think it would be interesting to look in to how state budget issues have affected the public servants like police and fire.
2. At one spot on Route 47, as I was driving home, I saw an Early Childhood Center and a Special Needs Education building in close proximity to each other. With the increased emphasis on early childhood education and the bettering of services for children with learning disabilities and special needs, I think these or similar destinations would make an interesting story.
3. I want to do a story about getting a tattoo. I want a tattoo badly, and I am going to shops to get them priced. Route 47 has a lot of tattoo shops. I think a story of the experience of getting a tattoo would be a good one.
1. Hunt of a Lifetime, the charity The Fletcher’s Corner runs to give hunting experiences to kids with terminal illnesses because make-a-wish won’t.
2. At Menz, I have a lot of questions, but mostly why are there so many buttons in their parking lot?
3. Rabbit Run- Frank the owner used to cast all his lawn sculptures, but because he’s getting old he has to order them from out of state.
– Halo House dogs going to Westminster Dog Show in NYC
– Holistic vet and their use of medicine on dogs
– Volunteers at the Animal Shelter
– The day in the life of Megena the corgi from Halo House
– Why are there so many used car lots?
1. Veterans memorial home – Vineland
2. Harold N. Peak Preserve – Millville
3. Creative Outlet Media Group – Deptford
1. Camp Malaga Ministry campground/community
2. Sharon Lakes, abandon camp ground
3. Hurricane Sandy relief fund
1.Total Framing doing the framework for the Philadelphia Eagles
2. Total Framing wanting to work with Rowan University art students. Willing to give discounts and sample work.
3. Triple Oaks Nurseries gardening and a variety of other classes that they offer to the public
– Restaurant reviews up and down Delsea Drive
– Why are there so MANY CAR DEALERSHIPS?!
– Psychic fortune teller…..does it actually work?
1) Every Friday night, Nipper’s bar in Deptford has a band that performs. It gets crowded as hell in there after 2 a.m.
2) There’s a cemetery in Washington Township next to Hollydale Skating Rink. My sister and I adventured in there one night back in July. It was not my first night ghost hunting but it will be my last because something in there scared the hell out of me. If anyone decides to go, please do not underestimate this place as I did.
3) There’s a Mosque up the street from Rowan.
1. Local hair salons and their hairs shows
2. Best eats at diners/restaurants
3. Profile on new Restaurant Smash Burger
I think the “Total Framing doing the framework for the Philadelphia Eagles” would be a really interesting story. Maybe try to get all the details you can from the guy about how they got the opportunity, what they plan to do and the extent of what they are going to be doing for them.
I like the Mike Trout story. He brings in national recognition, and it’s even cooler that he grew up so close to us. The fact that you’ve talked to his coach already is awesome. Definitely worth pursuing, in my opinion.
I really love the diner regulars idea. I think that this would be an interesting sampling of a lot of different types of people who gather at one location. Diners are usually magnets for quirky people.
I like the Cash for Gold shops idea, but I think you could take that idea and turn it in to a portrait of the economy right now. Cash for Gold shops benefit when economic times are bad because people have trouble paying their bills, and so on. I think that would be a good angle.
It’s a good idea to do a story on the car dealers. I’m curious about the competition they face since there are so many of them on Delsea Drive. I want to know more about how they make themselves stand out among the rest.
I think the used car dealership story could be interesting. I’m sure many people have wondered why they are so frequent on route 47, and how they could all possibly still be in business.
I think the cash for gold shops would make an awesome story- especially if you could get in contact with two of them. It would be cool to hear how they landed at Delsea, when their highest and lowest peaks of income have been, and how they handle/what they think of their fellow Delsea competitors.
I’ve always wanted to see a story about a fortune teller! The interaction between the customer/psychic would be cool to see. Also, the psychic’s backstory on how they knew they had this “gift.”
i like the car dealership idea because there’s honestly a ridiculous number of them on 47. i take 47 from my internship in vineland to get to class after and there are stretches of like 5 or 6 in a row
Lol. You won’t be able to concentrate while getting a tattoo. The last thing you’ll want to do is take notes.
I think Hunt of a Lifetime, would make a great story to be told through film or audio. It could have many dynamics an audience wants in a story, the owner overcame obstacles and did the right thing. Sick children who want to hunt get to hunt, for the first time. It has a timeless quality.
im into scary, maybe there are others like it with a reputation
mike trout is a good story idea, big deal for the area. and i know one of his sponsors wants to turn the high school field into mike trout field so there’s plenty of story there
Psychic fortune teller would be good for a light fluff piece. Maybe focusing less on if it works and more on the character of the fortune teller herself/himself.
Cash for gold places would be an interesting documentary. Much of their merchandise comes from people headed to Camden to get high. It’s convenient.
i like both the cemetery and mosque ideas. the cemetery for that weird nj sort of thing, and the mosque because i like seeing the rare story about how islam is more than just terrorists and jihadists
The idea of comparing diners would be fun and informative to our readers. There are even some right next to each other.
I Iove the ideas everyone is saying about the used car lots and why there are so many. It is intriguing. My favorite is the tattoo odea. I want to see her pull it off and it would be nice and personal. The process can be shown more intimately and people love to read about people.
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Google+ account. ( Log Out / Change )
Connecting to %s
Notify me of new comments via email.
Notify me of new posts via email.
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.