Due: Thurs, March 10 at 4:00 p.m. (before Spring Break)
Worth 15 points/Late = deduction of 3 points
Objective: To create an audio slide show that profiles a New Jersey resident with a strong connection to one of the items on the “official symbol” list. It should be a story that can be told with audio and visuals and does not need a lot of text to explain.
Possible Subjects: A beekeeper, a tree trimmer, a greenhouse owner who grows violets, a fisherman, the captain of the The A.J. Meerwald, a Square Dancer, etc.
Avoid: For this assignment, avoid motto, colors, seal (and I think dinosaur is done.)
Solo or In Pairs: Students can decide if they want to work solo or in a team that I assign. A team of two people is preferable since you can have one person doing audio while the other does photos. Students who work in pairs will receive the same grade for the assignment.
What You Need to Do:
• Find a good subject.
• Pitch your story to me via email by March 1.
• Set up an interview and record it.
• Gather ambient and natural sounds.
• Photograph your subject. Take 100+ photos. You need a good photo for every 5 seconds of edited audio. (ie 1:30 = 18 good photos)
• Convert your audio files. Edit your audio. Export as mp3 with “High Quality”
• Select and crop your photos.
• Synch the audio and photos together in Sound Slides to tell the story.
-A profile of one person
– 2:00 or less… I suggest you shoot for 1:30
-“In her own words” – No narration or sound of interviewers voice
• Quality of reporting (Did you go somewhere, meet someone, and put in effort to find a good story?)
• Quality of audio (Good sound quality/smooth editing)
• Quality of photos (Focus, framing, variety of shots)
• Quality of editing (Pacing and synching of audio and photos)
• Strong beginning: visual and audio.
• Strong ending: visual and audio
• Is there an anecdote?
• Is there is a moment of reflection?
• Is there a story?
• Word document with headline, teaser and proper credits
• Files submitted in proper format and names