Due: Thurs, Feb 17 at the end of class (Late = deduction of 2 points)
For this assignment, turn in all of the following items:
90-second audio clip
• Exported in .mp3 format
• Saved as YourLastNameA1Audio.mp3
• .jpg format
• Medium quality
• Sized approx 600 width x 450 height
• Saved as YourLastNameA1Photo1.jpg, YourLastNameA1Photo2.jpg, YourLastNameA1Photo3.jpg
300 to 500 words of text with a headline and byline
• Saved as word .doc or .docx
• Saved as YourLastNameA1Text.docx”
What you turn in will look and sound something like this
To create these items:
1. Pick an item from the official NJ symbol list. This includes state colors (Buff and Blue) nickname (Garden State) motto (Liberty and Prosperity) and the list of official state symbols at http://www.state.nj.us/nj/about/facts/symbols/ You must begin with one of the items on this list.
2. Go somewhere. Take a camera, your audio recorder, microphone, and headphones. Introduce yourself. Explain the class project. Let everyone you talk to or photograph know that this is for a public web site. Find the most compelling story you can.
3. Audio Reporting: Interview your subject(s). Try to ask questions that elicit stories, not just information. Record an ID for each person – full name, age, hometown or location, and occupation. Gather other sounds to enhance your audio. Record room tone for each interview. And record natural sound effects to help tell the story.
5. Photo Reporting: Take photos of the person or people you interview and the surroundings. Capture a variety of shots (wide, medium, close-up, detail, etc). Take more photos than you need. Make sure you have one strong image of a person or people in your audio. Another photo should be related to the NJ official symbol you selected.
6. Audio Editing: Edit your audio to 90 seconds or less. Cut out the sound of your own voice and questions. Put the ID at the beginning (in first 20 seconds) and integrate natural sounds to make it more vivid. Use your audio to capture voice, emotion, personality, and anecdotes.
7. Photo Editing: Pick your three best photographs to accompany the audio. Use your photos to present visuals, portraits of people, action, and specific moments.
8. Writing: Write a short article of text to go with your audio and photos (between 300-500 words). Use your text to convey basic information (who, what, where, when, why) and to entice the viewer to explore the audio and photos. Make sure you have first and last names spelled correctly. Write a compelling headline for your story that is descriptive and uses key words.
10. Make sure all of your media is saved in the proper format and named correctly. (See list above).
11. Put your audio clip, three photos, and text document in a folder called YourLastNameOJ2A1. Turn in your entire folder and its contents via Flash drive.
Grading: Worth Total 10 points
1 point = Story has a connection to an item on the official NJ symbol list
1 point = Edited audio is no longer than 90 seconds, ID in first 20 seconds, no reporter voice
1 point = quality of audio gathering and editing
1 point = content of the audio (Is it compelling, relevant, worth hearing, sharing?)
1 point = 3 photos are clear, in focus. One is an image of a person interviewed and one is photo related to the symbol.
1 point = content of the photos (Are they compelling, relevant, worth seeing, sharing?)
1 point = 300-500 words of text and a headline
1 point = content of text (Does it explain “who, what, where, when, why” and make viewer want to know more?)
1 point = Overall story content of entire package (Is it compelling, relevant, worth reading, hearing, seeing, and sharing?)
1 point = Files submitted in proper formats with appropriate names